Waiting List FAQ
The Waiting List is not strictly linear, a number of factors will be taken into consideration to ensure that the young person gets a quality time in scouting. Which may mean if your child gets close to the upper age range for their current section, they will be bumped to for consideration to the next section.
For example Johnny has been on the list since he was 4 years old, a place has come up at the 1st Cotswold Edge but he is now 7 years and 10 months old. Janey has been on the list since she was 5, and it 5 years 10 months old, it is likely that the place will be offered to Janey over Johnny, because Janey will have more time in Beavers than Johnny will. By the time Johnny has settled in it’ll be time to move him to cubs, and unsettle him again.
Johnny would also have little opportunity to complete his Chief Scouts Bronze Award in the 2 months.
Our preference is to maximise the experience for the young person, over strict linear churn through the waiting list.
The ages at which the Waiting List Administration Team move young people between lists is as follows:
|Waiting List Name||Age Ranges|
|WannaBeavers||0 years – 5 years 10 months|
|Section Lists||5 years 10 Months – 13 years 6 months|
|Explorers||13 years 6 months – 18 years|
However there may be some local variations as to when they stop offering a section in lieu of the next section.
The Waiting List process is broken into 4 stages, as explained below:
- Parent is pointed to the cesd.org.uk website.
- Parent finds the Waiting list registration form.
- Parent completes the form.
- Form is submitted to Online Scout manager.
- Parent is emailed a copy of their submission.
- Waiting List Team is emailed a copy of the submission.
- Waiting List Admin review submission on the Triage Waiting List
- Admin checks the age, and if less than 5 3/4 they are moved into the WannaBeavers List.
- Admin then checks the location and depending on where they reside in Cotsworld Edge they will be transferred to the Waiting list that corresponds.
- Admin may enter the three nearest groups, as the crow flies into the Admin Suggested Group column.
- Admin reviews the age ranges and moves from WannaBeavers to Beavers, to cubs, to scouts, and to Explorers when the relevant age triggers are met.
Review & Offer
- The Group Representative reviews the list for members who are in their “catchment”.
- The Rep evaluates the suggestions against their Group Admissions Policy
- The Rep contacts the parent and offers a place, and updates the Group, Section & Offer Date column
- The Rep liaises with the parent throughout the offer, keeping the Group, Section & Offer Date column up to date throughout
- Once the offer is accepted the Rep will share the submission with their OSM instance to enable the parent to easily receive section communications such as programme & event details
- Once the young member has been invested, the Group, Section & Offer Date column will be updated by the offering Group/Section Rep
- After they have been invested the submission will be transferred to an Invested List, for reporting on how many young people come off the waiting list and into scouting
- After a period of time the Invested List is cleaned up to remove old investitures.
We have an online form that captures the data required to be able to offer places, when they become available. This form can be found:
This data captured within this form is made available to the 20 Groups, and the Explorers units through our Online Scout Manager accounts